December 9, 2011

Weekend Crafting: Hair Bows!

Happy Friday crafters! It is a glorious day for a whole variety of reasons. Mostly because of the boozy lunch I had with my coworkers! SHHHHH! Don't tell the man!

This past weekend I spent my Sunday with my besty Keighty. We drank coffee, walked around Brooklyn, made a delicious lunch, crafted hair bows, and drank a bottle of wine while listening to records DJ'd by her boyfriend. It was pretty much the perfect Sunday. 

Anyways, back to Keighty. She is pretty much the koolest kid that I know. Check out her awesome work in progress: the Live Polaroid Project. Sweet right. Those first three pictures, thats me and my roommate Jane with Lola - our bitch-faced cat. 

SO. Keighty. She wears a bow in her hair every day. What's even cooler than that is she makes them herself. On Sunday she showed me how. On Friday I show you how. And on Sunday, you make it yourself. And then on Monday you send me pictures. I have this all worked out. 

Check out this cuteness:



Supplies:

1. A sewing machine. (Or you can sew by hand. It will just take a lot longer.)
2. Fabric. We used some scrap from Keighty's fabric box. 
3. Scissors.
4. Thread.
5. Curling Pin holders from CVS. 
6. A sewing needle.
(Sorry! I don't know where a lot of this stuff is from! I didn't buy the supplies!)

Step 1:
Fold your fabric in half and lay it down on a flat surface. The fold should be where the red arrow is pointing. 

Step 2:
Use your hands to visualize a rectangle that is a little bit larger than the bow you plan to make. 

Step 3:
Cut out that rectangle, as well as a slightly smaller rectangle of similar proportions. 

Step 4:
You should have two cut pieces of fabric that look like this. 

Step 5: 
Fold both pieces so that the edges are in the middle as shown above. 

Step 6: 
Sew the rectangles.The red lines below describe how. The shorter sides should be sewn shut and then the open edge should be sewn shut except for a small opening in the middle. 
 When you are done it will look like this:

Step 7:
Inside out each rectangle of fabric so that the correct side is facing out. 


Step 8:
Lay the small rectangle on top of the large rectangle with the seams to the back. Pinch these together from the middle. 

Step 9:
Using a needle and thread, manually sew together the pinch from step 8. Make sure the thread is not visible on the front side of the bow. 

Step 10:
Place the curling pin clip at the center of the back side of the bow and sew it on. 

And then put that puppy in your hair! 
That's Keighty's head, not mine. I have curly hair, silly!


Easy peasy! And super cute! I love wearing bows, they make me happy. 

Your homework for the weekend: MAKE YOUR OWN. And then e-me some pictures! OR, I will be happy to make one for you!

And here is a picture of me and Keighty being all cute and shit:
We love. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that bow girl in the picture wasn't already taken... I would totally date her based on back-of-the-head beauty alone.

Erin @ Thanks, I Made It said...

This is great! I was just thinking about how to make a double bow like this. Thanks!
Erin @ www.thanksimadeitblog.com

Emily Alfin Johnson said...

What kind of sewing machine is that--its bomb!

Post a Comment