December 7, 2011

Neon Fimo Gems

Hey, you guys! Remember when I showed you how to make those awesome fimo coasters?! Well. What I didn't tell you was that I had some extra fimo scrap left over. I never know what to do with the left over fimo (there is always some left over fiimo) because there isn't enough scrap material to put into a new flower. #craftingproblems. 
And then I had an epiphany: I can use fimo to make other things. Mind = Blown

So, I had some neon colors left over and this is what I made:
NEON GEOMETRIC FIMO GEMS
Fierce. 


Supplies:
1. Ring base from Toho OR earing posts and backs from Michael's.
2. An extra small paint brush from Michael's.
3. An X-Acto knife from a local hardware store.
4. Fimo from Michael's.
5. E6000 glue from M&J.
6. NOT PICTURED: A toaster oven or regular oven. Whichever.
7. A working surface. I used some old foam core.

Step 1:
Make a square with the fimo in your hand. 

Step 2:
Start cutting off small chunks of the square using the X-Acto knife. 
Repeat. Eventually it will look less like a square and more like this:

Step 3:
Arrange your fimo pieces on a baking pan. 

Step 4:
Bake at 275 degrees for about 10 minutes. 

Step 5:
Get a glob of glue onto your working surface and dab some onto your paint brush. 

Step 6:
Add a small amount of glue to the ring or earring base using the paint brush. 

Step 7:
Place the ring or earring base on a flat side of the baked fimo item. 

Step 8: 
Place each piece with the ring or earring base on top and let dry overnight. 

And now I have really super extra cool neon rings!

I love how they look as earrings too! (This is my roommate's very dainty ear. She's pretty. Just sayin'.)

I think I am going to wear all of them at once. All the time. What do you think? 

Look at that. A statement cocktail ring in a pinch! 

This is another fantastic gift idea! It's the holiday season and I know you are behind on your shopping. I'm just looking out for you. 
Also, another great thing to do with the fimo shapes is to use a long push pin to make a hole through them. Then it becomes a bead! Perfect for a bracelet or a necklace. 

What did you do with your fimo scraps?! E-me here! I want to see pictures! You can look forward to seeing these in my Etsy shop too! YAY for progress! 

1 comment:

Bubble My Licorice said...

oh they look cool :)
but maybe you could varnish them a bit? i dunno

Post a Comment