January 16, 2012

Chain Crafting Part 1: Chain Necklace

If you follow me on twitter, then you are awesome and already know that I am currently singlehandedly supporting M&J and Toho Shoji. If you are not following me on twitter, well then, you suck. And to eradicate your obvious sucking you should follow me on twitter. 
SEE. I'm a problem solver, I solve problems. 
(While you're at it, give my facebook page a little love too please. It's feeling lonely.

The reason I have made three trips up to Herald Square (which is my very own personal version of hell) in the past 5 days is because I have gone completely and utterly jewelry happy and I keep needing more and more supplies. So you have the fruits of that labor to look forward to this week. 

Toho Shoji has one million and one different varieties of chains and that's where I have been focusing my jewelry making energies. This post is the first in a three part installment of crafting with chains. Exciting stuff, right?! Support me, or I will go jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. I got your attention now, don't I. 
(Don't worry. I would never jump off of anything. I was just being dramatic because I'm desperate for your love.

...ANYWAYS, the other day I was at work when my leading lady coworker came over to my desk for a quick chitchat/love fest. I cut her off right away because I was so smitten with her necklace. And then I asked permission to be a copycat and, not buy, but DIY her necklace. She graciously agreed. 

Here is my version:

Here is the original:
Not too shabby, eh? Mine is a little bit chunkier but I'm cool with it. I'm a fan of chunky accessories. So it all works out. 


Supplies:
1. Scissors.
2. Pliers from a local hardware store. 
3. Two small pieces or scrap chain originally from Toho Shoji.
4. Medium and large silver metal loops from Toho Shoji.
5. Silver chain from Toho Shoji in five varieties. One to be used as the necklace chain. The other four to dangle decoratively. 
6. A lobster clasp from Toho Shoji.

Step 1:
Use the pliers and scissors to cut the four decorative silver chains. You want two small pieces per chain, about 2-2.5 inches long. Cut the necklace chain in half.

Step 2:
Use the pliers to attach the two scrap chains with a large silver metal loop. 
Do this on both ends of the scrap metals. When competed you should have this:

Step 3:
Hook one of each decorative chain to a large silver metal loop.

Step 4:
Hook this onto the silver metal loop securing one end of the scrap metal chains. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other side of the scrap metal chains. 

Step 5:
Hook a small silver metal loop onto one side of both pieces of the necklace chain and attach each to one side of the scrap metal chain/dangle chain connection. 

Step 6:
Hook a smal loop and the lobster claw clasp to the other end of one of the necklace chain halves. Hook only a small loop to the other. 

And now I can forever be known as a copycat:
Well, at least I'm a crafty copycat. 



What are the chances that me and leading lady wear the necklaces on the same day? That would be embarrassing (for her, she's way cooler than me.) I think I am going to wear my chambray shirt with this necklace EVERYDAY until we are twinsies

NO, JK. LOL. I don't like being twinsies with my leading ladies. They are all unique chickens and that's why I love 'em. 

SO... what do you think!? Are you excited about the three part installment of chain crafting?! I bet you are. So excited that you can't even imagine sleeping tonight. I don't blame you. Tomorrow's chain project is OFF THE HOOK
Seriously though, I'm really excited about it. 

Show me what you can make out of chains! Buy this necklace! E-me!


2 comments:

LisZ said...

ur version is much prettier

Maia Dobson said...

I agree that your version of that necklace is way cuter! I'm looking for an earring though for my mom's birthday, can you suggest where I could buy earrings online?

Post a Comment